Monday, March 29, 2010

Wuthering Expectations is on Spring Break

I think I'll be back on Thursday.

In the meantime, here is a Dante Gabriel Rossetti poem (1870) about spring. I recommend not reading it.  It's not very good.  Is it?  This is actually relevant to the Ford Madox Ford novel I'm reading, along with others, as organized by The Reading Life.


Barren Spring

So now the changed year's turning wheel returns
  And as a girl sails balanced in the wind,
  And now before and now again behind
Stoops as it swoops, with cheek that laughs and burns,--
So Spring comes merry towards me now, but earns
  No answering smile from me, whose life is twin'd
  With the dead boughs that winter still must bind,
And whom to-day the Spring no more concerns.

Behold, this crocus is a withering flame;
  This snowdrop, snow; this apple-blossom's part
  To breed the fruit that breeds the serpent's art.
Nay, for these Spring-flowers, turn thy face from them,
Nor gaze till on the year's last lily-stem 
  The white cup shrivels round the golden heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment